Skip to main content

LANGUAGE

This past week as we were working through our workouts in the pool in both the Gold and the Prep group I heard this language come out of some of you, WHAT IF I CAN’T?  Think about that for a second.  I read and article recently by Oliver Leroy and so what I will attempt to do here is paraphrase what he was trying to get across for our purposes.  Think about this You are asked by a group of friends to go hang out but immediately you respond by saying, I can’t I have to go to practice.  Instead of looking at this situation in the concept of “I Have To” and understanding  that you don’t have to go to practice and work hard and that this is something that “You Get To Do”, your training will not only get better but you will also have more fun doing it.
 
  Whatever you’re doing daily the language that you use can have a direct impact on your mindset in all your activities.  When you use the phrase I have to it, it has the connotation that a bit of effort will be involved that is going to cause a bit of unpleasantness .“I have to do my homework. I have to go to bed early tonight.  I have to walk the dog.  I have to eat dinner. I have to go to practice. I have to work harder.  I have to swim faster today.  I have to win the race.  I have to be more motivated.  When you have to do something, it’s clear you don’t want to do it.”  Wait before you respond, think about it You like that dog, you love swimming and hanging out with your buddies and listening to me, okay maybe not that last part so much.  The language that you use and I hear often tells a whole different story.  The language that I hear causes unpleasantness and stress that has a direct relationship on your effort and motivation.  It makes things harder then they have to be.  When you have to the "context is clear, you don’t want to do it."
 
Listen we know that swimming and for that matter any sport that you participate in can be hard and get’s harder at every level. There are always things in any sport that athletes  do not want to do day to day. Going to morning practice, giving up a weekend for a long meet, attending finals to support your teammates/friends even though your not swimming.  But oh, how you do love it and always have since you first jumped in as a little girl/boy and had that glorious first swim and smell of chlorine.  Sometimes the way we talk to ourselves we unintentionally make the situation harder than it has to be.
          think about it


 
This language becomes so normal in your every day thought process that it starts to “pepper down into how you talk to yourself in swimming.”   Using the words “I have to” is is being forced to do the thing you love working hard and swimming fast. We've talked before about mental toughness and taking control of the language you use and the way you talk to yourself.  We talked about word replacements when talking to ourselves and I want you to stop and think about the possibilities if instead of saying I have to, you change one simple word and say “I get to.”  That one little word change not only takes away unnecessary stress but also opens doors and creates a lot of opportunities and makes things a little more interesting.  
 
Not everybody is given the opportunity to do something that they love to do, and what I would like to do is challenge you to change your mindset.
  • “I get to do this sport"
  • “I get to challenge myself daily"
  • “I get to see what I am made of"
  • “I get to swim fast today"
  • I get to bond with my teammates 
 
I get to will remind you that you could be " somewhere else doing something else, but no you Choose to be here in this moment taking things to the limits.”  Saying I get to reminds you how lucky you are to be able to have a pool you can use and participate in a sport you love that allows you to step up and race.  No one is making you do this.  Don’t fight the  voices between your ears, remember who you are, and how strong you are. Take everything you have and do something with it.  It starts with believing in yourself and changing your mindset with the language you use.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

“If it’s important to you, you will find a way.  If not, you will find an excuse.” FEEDING YOUR MUSCLES   Having trouble with those early morning workouts or competition?  Not sure what to eat or how much so that you can perform at an optimal level and get through it? Understanding the process and how to get there is not an easy one.Waking up early to jump into a cold pool for either swim practice or  a swim meet is no easy feat.  For sure one of the biggest advantage is you get to see the sun rise and you have a jump on everyone else.  One of the first things that you have to do to survive a early workout/swim meet is to fuel your vessel. By the time you wake up your body is already starving.  You need to figure out a way to fuel it that works for you.  It's not something that you can ignore because the consequences will affect your success.  I was amaze or maybe not that so many of you have nothing to eat before arriving at the pool in the morning.  This is an area of your traini

Westward passage

  So I’ve made it this far riding south with the Rockies off to my right just need to find the correct route to go up and over, where is Coach Heather and her GPS not that I would listen to her.   Crossed over into Canada from North Dakota and went west in Canada.to Calgary and turned left south to Billings Montana  This will be our road west. Sun road in glacier national park.  On another note will be ending in San Diego sometime late week.  Hoping to be back by Friday practice but because of the heat we are riding less miles with more breaks.  Will definitely be there at st James Saturday morning barring any catastrophe. Make sure for you prep kids you get a good day of rest tomorrow and a good night sleep.  Get your homework done.  That first day will set the tone for the entire year.  The gold and blue groups let’s get some rest, get your homework 📚 done and set the tone for a successful season on day 1. Remember our motto “WIN”

PRACTICE

  "If you don't practice you don't deserve to win." ANDRE AGASSI So you come to practice on a consistent basis hardly ever missing but yet you are always missing out on that one great swim you've been searching for.  The hard question that you need to ask yourself is this; Do I practice with with a determination to improve or do I just show up swim with little focus on what you are doing or why?  If that's the way you practice you will end up like the dog just swimming never able to capture the one big swim your searching for.  Like you after the race you will think your tired but frustrated that you came up short again. Practice is the Foundation for all of your swimming successes now and in the future and it all goes back to our theme for the season. "WIN". (What's Important Now" ).  Simply said Focus on what we are doing in practice at the moment. It's about how you approach practice and what and how you do in the water during that t